Job Title : Education Officer III
Department : District IV
Classification : Grade 17
Reports to : Chief Education Officer
Supervises : Staff in the District Office and Principals of District IV
RELATIONSHIPS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Liaises with the Permanent Secretary, Deputy Permanent Secretary, Chief Education Officer, Deputy Chief Education Officer – Instruction, Deputy Chief Education Officer – Planning, principals, teachers, students, representatives of denominational schools, Sir Arthur Lewis Community College, community groups and organizations, other Government Ministries and Donor Agencies;
- Works in collaboration with the Chief Education Officer to ensure that schools are administered in a proper and efficient manner;
- Supervises and supports schools within the District and serves as liaison between the Ministry of Education and schools.
- Manages the District Education Office through monitoring and supervision of staff to ensure that the objectives of the District are met;
- Provides general supervision of instruction at schools by visiting each school at least twice per term to ensure effective delivery of the programme of instruction;
- Intervenes on matters which may impact negatively on instruction or the general operation of the school by providing advice and guidance to ensure effective delivery of instruction in schools;
- Advises principals on matters of school administration and organization by maintaining appropriate dialogue and providing the relevant support needed to ensure quality in the school system;
- Informs the Chief Education Officer of school issues and makes recommendations for action so that schools may operate more effectively;
- Assists schools in obtaining the necessary curricula, curriculum materials and other documents essential to the planning and effective delivery of instruction;
- Initiates, organizes and assists with the development and delivery of appropriate in-service and orientation training programmes for principals and staff to help strengthen the capacities to effectively manage instruction at schools;
- Develops, implements and evaluates a District Improvement Plan by collaborating with
relevant stakeholders to ascertain that the District has a strategic focus that will assist
in achieving the Ministry of Education’s goals;
- Keeps a log of school visits, termly reports and annual progress reports on the officer’s programme of activities and submits to the Chief Education Officer for sound decision making;
- Assists principals in formulating and evaluating annual performance objectives and plans by providing guidance and making the necessary recommendations for school development and improvement;
- Co-ordinates annual performance reviews of schools within the District through dialogue with principals and staff and submits reports to the Chief Education Officer for informed decision making;
- Works closely with other team members to prepare annual budget for the District by incorporating the yearly activities in order to adopt a clear understanding of what the District intends to achieve;
- Advises the Ministry on resources and other material needs of schools to ensure that all schools have the required resources that will enhance the teaching/learning process resulting in greater student achievement;
- Harnesses support from the community for the further development of the school;
- Performs any other related duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Chief Education Officer and the Permanent Secretary.
- Accommodation provided in a general administrative office;
- The processes of the Unit will be carried out on the basis of team work. The officer will be expected to be an active team member who understands all the processes of the Unit;
- The officer will be required to maintain a high level of integrity, confidentiality, honesty and trust at all times;
- The officer will be required to maintain a motor vehicle to function in a scheduled travelling post and is expected to be in the field;
- The officer will receive a travelling allowance in accordance with approved rates established by the Government of Saint Lucia;
- The officer is required to attend regular Heads of Department meetings and to report on the progress of the District;
- Salary will be paid in accordance with the terms stipulated by the Government in the
Estimates of Expenditure or Collective Agreement and is liable to taxation in accordance
with the Income Tax Ordinance;
- Institutional support will be provided through appropriate Civil Service and Teaching
Service Regulations, Statutory Instrument and Departmental Guidelines;
- Opportunities exist for personal development and career advancement through general and specialized in-service and external training;
- Housing, free medical attention and medicine will not be provided.
Work performance will be evaluated on the basis of:
- Impact of training programmes designed and implemented;
- Effectiveness and quality of supervision and monitoring provided in the programme of instruction in schools and in the resolution of problems related to the general operation of schools;
- Effective demonstration of supervisory and management capabilities;
- Quality of assessment conducted;
- Timely completion and quality of reports generated;
- Capability to maintain appropriate linkages with both internal and external customers;
- Proven knowledge and understanding of current job related policies, procedures, instructions and the use of relevant technology;
- Compliance with Departmental, Ministry’s Guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures;
- Effective implementation of duties, responsibilities and assignments as defined in the Job Description.
- A progressive attitude and professional demeanour;
- Sound decision-making skills including analytic and problem solving skills;
- Sound leadership, managerial and supervisory skills;
- Sound knowledge of the Standard Operating Procedures contained in the Ministry’s Operations
- Ability to develop and implement strategic plans;
- Ability to maintain a high standard of ethics, honesty, and integrity in carrying out the goals and objectives of the Unit;
- Ability to effectively manage and supervise the budget and activities/programmes of the District Education Office;
- Ability to motivate, counsel and mentor staff;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective linkages with both internal and external customers;
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
The candidates should possess the following: A Master’s Degree in Educational Administration,
plus Bachelor’s Degree in Educational Administration, plus five (5) years experience in administration (experience as a Secondary School Principal would be an asset);
A Master’s Degree in Educational Administration or related field, plus a Post Graduate Diploma, plus five (5) years experience in administration (experience as a Secondary School Principal would be an asset).
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Quarters, free medical attention and medicine will not be provided. The successful applicant’s income will be liable to taxation in accordance with the Income Tax Ordinance.
Applications must be accompanied by certified copies of all certificates and transcripts from the relevant institutions. Two confidential testimonials are required – one from the Principal of the school at which the teacher is presently employed and one from the Education Officer for the District. For applicants outside of the school system, testimonials should be from immediate supervisors.Please note that:
- Performance and punctuality will be used as part of the criteria for selection of persons already in the Education System; and
- The successful applicant may be given an acting appointment for up to twelve (12) months;
- Applicants are required to indicate Administrative positions held and experience gained.
Teaching Service Commission
Stanislaus James Buildings
The deadline for receiving applications is on or before Friday, December 1, 2017.
Application Forms can be obtained from the Office of the Teaching Service Commission, Ground Floor, Sir Stanislaus James Building, The Waterfront, Castries