Ministry of Finance, Economic Growth, Job Creation, External Affairs and Public Service
Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons for appointment to the post of Postmaster General, in the Ministry of Finance, Economic Growth, Job Creation, External Affairs and Public Service (Department of Finance – Postal Services).RELATIONSHIPS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Postmaster General is responsible for the administration of the Postal Service in accordance with Post Office Ordinance Chapter 145 (1957 Revision) and its subsequent amendments;
- Manages the overall operational, budgetary and financial responsibilities and activities of the Postal Service in accordance with the mission and goals of the Department of Finance;
- Delegates responsibilities to the Deputy Postmaster General, Assistant Postmaster General and the Accountant, whilst maintaining strategic overview and overall responsibility and accountability for output;
- Works under the direction of and reports to the Permanent Secretary and Director of Finance.
B1. Primary Duties
- Prepares the annual work plan of the Postal Service to provide a guide for attaining the Department’s mandate;
- Monitors the performance of the managers for which he/she directly supervise to ensure the achievement of agreed sectional and individual performance targets;
- Ensures that adequate systems, controls and policies are established and adhered to, for the purposes of ascertaining that all revenues received are brought promptly and properly to account;
- Exercises control over all officers in the Department and Sub-Offices entrusted with the receipt of public monies;
- Ensures the maintenance of efficient internal checks and controls, by facilitating surprise inspections, to guard against the occurrence of revenue lost through fraud, embezzlement or negligence;
- Co-ordinates the development and monitors the implementation of new initiatives necessary for the operational efficiency of the Department;
- Advises the Permanent Secretary, Department of Finance on critical issues relating to the operations of the Postal Service for the purpose of pursuing remediation plans as required;
- Implements Government policy relating to revenue collection and Expenditure;
- Holds regular meetings with administrative officers and supervisors to discuss policy
matters, recommendations for improvement of services and staffing issues;
- Guides and advises on postal policy and related matters;
- Coordinates the development of new postal products;
- Coordinates functional and technical postal operations.
- Ensures that the Department achieves the outputs described in the Strategic Plan;
- Implements the Universal Postal Union (UPU) postal strategy;
- Implements postal security measures and systems;
- Implements operational controls and ensures compliance with international postal regulations;
- Maintains the Universal Service Obligation (USO);
- Maintains good working relations with key stakeholders – Police, Customs, Worker Unions, Air and Seaport Authorities, Airline operators etc;
- Meets with stakeholders, interest groups and agencies in relation to departmental matters;
- Attends regular Heads of Department meetings to report on progress of the Postal Service and provide representation on matters relating to the postal service;
- Attends conferences, symposia and meetings to represent the department at the local, regional and international levels;
- May be required to perform other work-related duties which fall within the broad scope and purpose of the job, as maybe assigned by the Permanent Secretary, Department of Finance.
- Congenial administrative office accommodation will be provided;
- Institutional support will be provided through appropriate Civil Service Regulations, Statutory Instruments and Departmental Guidelines;
- The officer must avail himself/herself for personal development and career advancement
through established orientation, general and specialized in-service and external training;
- Salary and allowances will be in accordance with the terms stipulated by the Government of Saint Lucia in the Estimates of Expenditure;
- Vacation Leave will be provided in accordance with Public Service rules and regulations;
- Entitled to allowances for traveling, telephone and entertainment.
Work performance will be evaluated on the basis of:
- Timely completion of assignments and meeting tasks deadlines;
- Compliance with Departmental Guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures;
- Effective implementation of duties, responsibilities and assignments as defined in the
- Evidence of the ability to practice a high level of confidentiality;
- Operate in accordance with the Postal Ordinance, UPU Convention and Regulations, the
Finance Administration Act and Regulations and the Staff Orders.
- In-depth knowledge of the Post office Ordinance Chapter 145 and subsequent
mendments, UPU Conventions and Regulations;
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the Finance (Administration) Act and the
- In-depth knowledge of Government’s Financial Management Information System – Smart stream;
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of Government’s Accounting practices and
- In-depth knowledge of budgeting and other financial management techniques;
- Excellent mediation and communication skills;
- Familiarization with and application of the International Postal System (IPS);
- Familiarization with and application of the Department’s Operations Manual;
- In-depth knowledge of and ability to interpret Public Service Rules and Regulations, Operating Procedures, Staff Orders for the Public Service of Saint Lucia, Collective Agreements, and Departmental Guidelines;
- Sound knowledge of performance management methods and techniques, staff development and
recognition measures, mentoring and coaching techniques;
- Ability to interpret and analyze government financial accounting transactions and provide guidance to agencies on same;
- Demonstrated supervisory and team building skills;
- Effective time management skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite including the ability to operate spreadsheets and word processing programmes at a highly proficient level;
- Ability to be decisive and make sound judgments;
- Ability to analyze and evaluate data and report findings, and to implement strategic policies.
- Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Public Service Management, Economics or a related field of study plus four (4) years’ experience in a post at grade 15 and above.
- Bachelor’s Degree plus a Post Graduate Diploma in Public Administration, Public Service Management, Economics or a related field of study and four (4) years’ experience in a post at grade 15 and above.
Salary is at the rate of $103, 194.00 per annum (Grade 19, fixed).
Applications should be made on the prescribed Government application forms along with certified copies of documents pertaining to qualifications, plus two (2) recent references and one (1) passport sized photograph.The same should be addressed to:
Public Service Commission
Sir Stanislaus James Building
To reach no later than March 10, 2017.
Unsuitable candidates will not be acknowledged.
Please be advised that candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and experience may not be considered for an interview; only the candidates with the best qualifications and experience will be short-listed for interviews.