Ministry of Finance, Economic Growth, Job Creation, External Affairs and Public Service
Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons for appointment to the post of CHIEF FIRE OFFICER, in the Ministry of Home Affairs, Justice and National Security (Department of Home Affairs and National Security-Saint Lucia Fire Service).
RELATIONSHIP AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as the Principal Advisor on Fire and Rescue to ensure that the Saint Lucia Fire Service fulfills its statutory responsibilities and meets local needs in keeping with the Fire Service Act and Regulations Industrial and Commercial Buildings Fire and Safety Act; including but not limited to fire control, emergency medical services, hazardous materials, incident planning and mitigation, rescue, fire investigations, fire prevention, and training;
- Works in consultation with the Deputy Permanent Secretary (DPS), Department of Home Affairs and National Security;
- All members of the department are subject to his orders;
- He shall be responsible for the enforcement of the Department Rules, Regulations and directives;
- Required to respond to the Permanent Secretary, Department of Home Affairs and National Security on matters relating to Work – in- Progress;
- Leads the planning and implementation of all phases of Departmental operations and administration in keeping with the Staff Orders for the Public Service of Saint Lucia and the Collective Agreement between the Government of Saint Lucia and the Saint Lucia Fire Service;
- Performs technical, administrative, and supervisory work in planning, organizing, directing and implementing fire prevention, suppression and emergency medical services to prevent or minimize the loss of life and property by fire, medical and other emergency conditions.
B1. PRIMARY DUTIES
- Plans, coordinates, supervises and evaluates Core Fire and EMS operations;
- Reviews Departmental performance and effectiveness;
- Reviews and recommends the implementation of new and innovative technology;
- Formulates programs and policies to improve Fire Service Operations and alleviate deficiencies;
- Supervises and coordinates the preparation, presentation, and spending of the Annual Fire Service Budget;
- Evaluates the need for, then plans and reviews specifications and makes recommendations for the purchase of new or replacement equipment;
- Responds to and acts as an incident Commander and provides command and control at Emergency scenes when necessary;
- Directs the inspection of buildings and other properties for fire hazards and the enforcement of applicable fire prevention legislation;
- Controls the expenditure of departmental allocations;
- Maintains Departmental discipline, as well as proper conduct and behaviour of the general membership;
- Ensures and maintains a safe and healthy work area by developing, managing, and evaluating departmental safety programmes;
- Prepares and submits monthly reports to the Department of Home affairs and National
Security regarding the Department’s activities in addition to other reports as appropriate;
- Plans Departmental operations with respect to equipment, apparatus, and personnel
and further supervises the implementation of such plans in accordance with established policies;
- Assigns personnel and equipment to such duties and uses as the service requires;
- Meets with Deputy Permanent Secretary, Department of Home Affairs and National Security, Heads of Department and other official agency representatives, on a quarterly basis to discuss all aspects of the Department’s activities;
- Works with the officials of the Department of Physical Planning and other agencies in the plans approval process on local projects and development proposals for the country.
- Attends conferences and meetings to keep abreast of current trends in the field;
- Represents the St. Lucia Fire & Emergency Service in a variety of local, regional and other meetings;
- Collaborates with key internal and external partners (e.g Police and Health) for contributing to the development and delivery of the Fire Service safety strategy, emergency medical service and enforcement plans to improve levels of community safety and well-being in Saint Lucia;
- Performs other work-related duties that falls within the broad scope and purpose of the job, as maybe assigned by the Deputy Permanent Secretary, Department of Home Affairs and National Security.
- Office provided at the Fire Service Headquarters;
- Expected to comply with the Fire Service Act & Regulations and the Public Service Staff Orders;
- Free medical attention and treatment is supplied at government institutions;
- Maintenance of a vehicle is required;
- May be required to travel overseas on official duties/training from time to time;
- Entitled to receive basic travel allowance and payment of mileage for approved journeys;
- Salary is in accordance with the terms stipulated by the Government of Saint Lucia in the
- Estimates of Expenditure/Collective Agreement.
Work performance will be evaluated on the basis of:
Evaluation will be on-going by supervisor and formal appraisals will be completed twice annually.
- Effective implementation of duties, responsibilities and assignments as defined in the Job Description;
- Demonstrated leadership and management capabilities and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated professional, administrative and/or specialized knowledge required to perform the job;
- Soundness of judgment and decision making;
- Quantity and quality of work;
- Timely completion of tasks assigned and meeting of deadlines;
- Dependability and initiative
- Must be knowledgeable about modern fire suppression and prevention, and emergency medical services, principles, procedures, techniques and equipment;
- Considerable knowledge of applicable laws, ordinances, standards, and regulations;
- Ability to supervise and lead subordinate personnel;
- Individual must of good physical health to perform duties efficiently and effectively;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in evaluating situations and in making decisions;
- Ability to effect change at all Stations working under the purview of the Saint Lucia Fire Service.
- Attend departmental meetings and training sessions;
- Expected to be available and/or reachable at all times, with the exception of scheduled Leave of absence and/or scheduled vacation time;
- Must possess, a valid driver’s license;
- No felony convictions or disqualifying criminal histories;
- Ability to read and write the English language, proficiently;
- Should have computer skills;
- An ability to meet department physical demands;
- Ability to liaise with union representatives to amicably discuss and resolve staff issues that will be beneficial to the Saint Lucia Fire Service and its employees.
1. Master’s Degree in Administration from a recognised University plus three (3) years’ experience in a post at Grade 15 and above.
2. Bachelor’s Degree in Fire Science, plus Post Graduate Diploma and three (3) years’ experience in a post at Grade 15 and above.
Salary is at the rate of $77, 605.56 per annum (Grade 18, Step 1)
Applications should be made on the prescribed Government Application forms along with certified copies of documents pertaining to qualifications, plus two (2) recent references and one (1) passport sized photograph.The same should be addressed to:
Public Service Commission
Sir Stanislaus James Building
Castries, Saint Lucia
To reach no later than March 10, 2017.
Unsuitable candidates will not be acknowledged.
Please be advised that candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and experience may not be considered for and interview; only the candidates with the best qualifications and experience will be shortlisted.