Ministry of Finance, Economic Growth, Job Creation, External Affairs and Public Service
Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons for appointment to the post of Deputy Commissioner of Police, in the Ministry of Home Affairs, Justice and National Security (Department of Home Affairs and National Security – Royal Saint Lucia Police Force).
RELATIONSHIPS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works under the general direction of the Commissioner of Police;
- Responsible for the command of Administrative Services and Law Enforcement Division of the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force;
- Required to possess unquestionable work ethics;
- Required to be of uncompromising integrity;
- Required to act at all times in keeping with the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force Act, Police and Public Service Rules and Regulations including Emergency Procedures, Personnel Policies and Code of Conduct;
- Required to respond whenever necessary to the Minister in the Ministry of Home Affairs, Justice and National Security;
- Maintains the Communication of a consistent vision of what is required within the organizational culture of professionalism and integrity of the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force.
B1. PRIMARY DUTIES
- Assumes the responsibility of the Commissioner of Police in his absence;
- Assists the Commissioner of Police with the development of policies, plans and programmes in order to improve the services of the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force;
- Assists the Commissioner of Police in making appropriate recommendations for the appointment and promotion of gazetted officers;
- Leads and manages professional standards, complaints and disciplinary matters within the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force;
- Leads, directs and monitors the performance of the Complaints Unit and manages major operational matters as instructed by the Commissioner of Police;
- Liaises with the Police Complaints Commission to ensure effective accountability across the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force;
- Leads the Special and Internal Investigations Unit regarding reports and complaints against police officers;
- Prepares reports to the Public Service Commission setting out defects and recommending corrective action;
- Directs and participates in the development of the corporate and divisional plans, objectives, priorities and Key Performance Indicators [KPIs];
- Directs and participates in the development of the budget bids to address Royal Saint Lucia Police Force;
- Guides and monitors the implementation of the corporate and divisional objectives of the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force;
- Oversees the achievements of strategic objectives and related financial performance through regular monitoring at review meetings;
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships, locally, regionally and
internationally, with other government agencies, professional groups, community groups
- Conducts annual evaluation of the performance of direct subordinates, identifies areas of improvement and ways to address those deficiencies;
- Identifies and advises on training needs for direct subordinates and ensures follow up action is taken to meet requirements;
- Holds regular meetings with direct subordinates [Heads of Department] for the purpose of departmental planning and monitoring of performance;
- Directs managerial reviews of operational units in accordance with the focus and priorities of the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force.
- Develops and implements actions to uphold the values of the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force;
- Represents the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force in discussions and negotiations at meetings, conferences and seminars;
- Performs any other work-related duties which fall within the broad scope and purpose of the job, as may be assigned by the Commissioner of Police, commensurate with the grade of the post.
- Congenial Administrative Office accommodation will be provided;
- Institutional support will be provided through appropriate Civil Service Regulations, Statutory Instruments and Departmental Guidelines;
- The officer must avail himself/herself for personal development and career advancement
through established orientation, general and specialized in-service and external training;
- Required to attend regular Heads of Department meeting and report on the Administration of the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force;
- Required to maintain a motor vehicle for the proper performance of the above duties and tasks;
- Required to function in a travelling post; allowances will be paid in accordance with the Public Service Regulations;
- Salary and allowances will be in accordance with the terms stipulated by the Government of Saint Lucia in the Estimates of Expenditure and the Collective Agreement;
- Vacation Leave will be provided in accordance with Public Service rules and regulations;
- The post is not pensionable.
Work performance will be evaluated on the basis of:
- Proven knowledge, understanding and effective application of all relevant legislative requirements and all appropriate Police and Public Service Rules and Regulations;
- Demonstrated supervisory capabilities and interpersonal skills;
- Timely submission of reports and meeting of task deadlines;
- Quality of reports produced, as reflected in accuracy, clarity and relevance;
- Effective management of the Complaints Unit in the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force;
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships, locally, regionally and internationally, with other government agencies, professional groups, community groups and media.
- Advance knowledge of law enforcement practices, procedures, applicable laws, rules and regulations;
- Sound knowledge of the Standards by which the quality of Police Service is evaluated, the use of Police records and their application to Police Administration;
- Knowledge of the functions of other governmental agencies and authorities as they relate to police work;
- Ability to plan, organize, direct and evaluate the work of subordinates engaged in diversified activities;
- Ability to analyze complex verbal and statistical reports and to formulate action based on analysis;
- Ability to analyze complex organizational problems and to determine proper courses of actions;
- Ability to prepare and present oral and written informative material relating to the activities of the Department;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates city officials, state authorities, civil leaders and the public;
- Working knowledge of, and ability to interpret, Public Service Rules and Regulations and operating procedures, Staff Orders, Financial and Stores Rules and Collective Agreements;
- Ability to demonstrate effective leadership and management skills;
- Decisiveness, soundness of judgment and clarity in issuing directives and devising operating procedures;
- Familiarization with Standard Operating Procedures contained in the Ministry’s Operations Manual of the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force;
- Ability to work within a team;
- Effective communication, negotiation and problem solving skills.
1. Master’s Degree plus four (4) years experience in a post at Grade 15 and above.
2. Bachelor’s Degree plus Post Graduate Diploma and four (4) years experience in a post at Grade 15 and above.
Successful completion of Junior Command Staff Program (Regional Security Staff and
Four (4) years at the rank of Inspector or Assistant Superintendent of Police.
Minimum of two (2) years leadership experience in Operational and Organizational Policing functions.
Must have completed and successfully passed the necessary polygraph required for upward mobility within the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force.
Preference will be given to candidates who have completed the Strategic Command Course.
Salary is at the rate of $103, 194.00 per annum (Grade 19, fixed).
Applications should be made on the prescribed Government application forms along with certified copies of documents pertaining to qualifications, plus two (2) recent references and one (1) passport sized photograph.The same should be addressed to:
Public Service Commission
Sir Stanislaus James Building
To reach no later than March 10, 2017.
Unsuitable candidates will not be acknowledged.
Please be advised that candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and experience may not be considered for an interview; only the candidates with the best qualifications and experience will be short-listed for interviews.