Ministry of Finance, Economic Growth, Job Creation, External Affairs and Public Service
Job Title: Legal Officer I, II, II, IV
Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons for appointment to the post of Legal Officer I, II, II, IV, in the Department of Sustainable Development.
RELATIONSHIPS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Acts as the Department’s principal legal advisor with the responsibility of preparing and presenting oral and written analyses of national, international and environmental law and policy;
- Works under the general direction of the Permanent Secretary, Department of Sustainable Development;
- Required to respond when necessary to the Minister on matters relating to work in progress.
B1. PRIMARY DUTIES
- Facilitates the development of local legislation required to support the implementation and compliance with Multilateral Environmental Agreements, through inter-agency collaboration;
- Provides legal advice and recommendations for the modernizing and harmonizing of existing legislation and regulations, to ensure the adoption of best practices related to the environment;
- Develops theoretical and analytical documents for use in a wide range of specific contexts of relevance to the environment;
- Liaises with the Attorney General’s Chambers and other Government Ministries/Departments as required through the most appropriate medium, to ensure and protect confidentiality of information;
- Represents the Department at local, regional and international meetings and/or conferences, on legal issues related to the environment by keeping abreast with latest industry trends and best practices, with respect to relevant sectors;
- Provides guidance, clarification and advice on legal issues relating to enforcement and contravention in relation to legislation governing and the environment by consulting with the relevant stakeholders and/or industry specific professionals, to achieve the department’s mandate;
- Vets and provides legal advice and opinions on investment and project proposals, to ensure that best practices and prevailing policies are adhered to;
- Prepares and/or reviews legal instruments such as agreements, contracts and memoranda of understanding between the Government of Saint Lucia and investors, developers, private sector, consultants and international donors, on issues related to the Department through consultation and dialogue with the relevant parties.
- Provides legal advice at international and regional environmental negotiations through dialogue and shared consensus, in order to facilitate amicable and legally binding outcomes;
- Prepares policy papers, briefs, addresses, and memoranda to Cabinet as required, by utilizing current and relevant data to ensure accuracy of information and timeliness of decisions;
- Performs other work-related duties that falls within the broad scope and purpose of the job, as maybe assigned by the Permanent Secretary, Department of Sustainable Development, which are commensurate with the Grade of the post.
- Institutional support is provided through appropriate Civil Service Regulations, Statutory Instruments and Departmental Guidelines;
- Required to maintain confidentially and integrity;
- Required to possess unquestionable work ethics;
- Functions in a scheduled travelling post and will receive Commuted Travelling Allowance in accordance with approved rates;
- Required to maintain a motor vehicle for the proper performance of duties;
- Performance will be evaluated twice yearly in keeping with Public Service Regulations;
- Salary is in accordance with the terms stipulated by the Government in the Estimates of Expenditure;
- Vacation Leave will be provided in accordance with the Public Service Rules and Regulations;
- May be required to undertake significant levels of work-related travel;
- This post is not Pensionable and the holder will be required to contribute to the National Insurance Corporation;
- This is a contract post and is subject to such terms and conditions as maybe agreed upon between the Government of Saint Lucia and the employee.
Work performance will be evaluated on the basis of:
- Proven sound knowledge of Environmental Law and Natural Resource Management;
- Proven experience and working knowledge of Environmental Law, natural resources
management and Contract Law;
- Sound knowledge and understanding of all aspects of legal, regulatory and compliance matters related to the environment;
- Proven knowledge, understanding and the effective applications of Civil Service administrative rules and regulations;
- Compliance with departmental guidelines and standard operating procedures;
- Effective implementation of duties, responsibilities and assignments as defined in the Job Description;
- Ability to plan and organize work;
- Timely completion of assignments and meeting tasks deadline;
- Ability to analyze issues, interpret legal principles and recommend and apply the law to issues.
- Ability to plan and organize work and develop policies;
- Proven experience in developing and managing projects;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, including to an audience without a legal background;
- A broad legal background, including private and/or government practice, experience with commercial and industry issues and legislative development;
- Excellent research, writing and analytical skills needed as well as an ability to work both independently and in a small, multi-cultural team;
- Ability to facilitate and participate in activities organized by volunteer networks;
- Knowledge and fluency of communication in Foreign Languages (French, Spanish and German will be an asset).
Masters Degree in Environmental Law, Natural Resources Management or Energy Law plus
four (4) years experience in a post at Grade 15 and above.
Bachelor’s of Law Degree plus Legal Education Certificate and four (4) years experience in a post at Grade 15 and above.
Master’s Degree in Environmental Law, Natural Resources Management or Energy Law plus
three (3) year experience in a post at Grade 14.
Bachelor’s of Law Degree plus Post Graduate Degree in Environmental Law, Natural Resources Management or Energy Law plus two (2) year’s experience in a post at Grade 14.
Bachelor’s of Law Degree plus Post Graduate Degree in Environmental Law, Natural Resources Management or Energy Law plus one (1) year experience in a post at Grade 12.
Bachelor’s of Law Degree in Environmental Law, Natural Resources Management or Energy Law
plus two (2) year’ s experience in a post at Grade 12.
Bachelor of Law Degree plus Post Graduate Degree in Environmental Law, Natural Resources Management or Energy Law plus two (2) years’ experience in a post at Grade 13 and above.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
1. One must be an Attorney at Law
2. One must possess a Legal Practicing Certificate
3. One must be called to the Bar
4. One must be a holder of the Legal Education Certificate (LEC)
GRADE 18 (Step I)
Salary is at the rate of $77, 605.56, per annum.
GRADE 17 (Step I)
Salary is at the rate of $73, 541.06, per annum.
GRADE 16 (Step I)
Salary is at the rate of $69,665.49, per annum.
GRADE 15 (Step I)
Salary is at the rate of $65, 789.93, per annum
Applications should be made on the prescribed Government of Saint Lucia application forms along with certified copies of documents pertaining to qualifications, plus two (2) recent references and one (1) passport sized photograph.The same should be addressed to:
Public Service Commission
Sir Stanislaus James Building
To reach no later than March 17, 2017.
Unsuitable candidates will not be acknowledged.
Please be advised that candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and experience may not be considered for an interview; only the candidates with the best qualifications and experience will be short-listed for interviews.