Job Title: Vice Principal
Department: Choiseul Secondary School
Classification: Grade 14 – 15
Reports to: Principal
RELATIONSHIPS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Liaises with the Education Officer, Chief Education Officer, Permanent Secretary, Deputy Permanent Secretary, Deputy Chief Education Officers Instruction and Planning, teachers, students, Sir Arthur Lewis Community College, community groups and organizations, other Government Ministries and Donor Agencies;
- Works in collaboration with the Principal and Education Officer to ensure that school is administered in a proper and efficient manner;
- Supervises and supports teachers, students and ancillary staff and serves as liaison between the District Education Office and school.
- Observance of the Education Act of 1999 and Regulations governing the Teaching Service;
- Supervision of the physical safety of the pupils;
- Supervision of Instruction to ensure that quality instruction is maintained;
- Application of the syllabus in conformity with the needs of the pupils of the school;
- Allocation and supervision of the duties of members of staff;
- Accountability for the school’s performance;
- Establishment and maintenance of discipline at the school;
- Ensuring the proper care and use of school furniture, equipment and supplies;
- Development and maintenance of active relationship with parents through Parent/Teacher Association and/or Board of Management;
- Furnishing all returns as prescribed and any time required by the Ministry of Education,
- Innovation, Gender Relations, and Sustainable Development;
- Furnishing progress reports on the performance of the school at the end of every term to the Education Officer with responsibility for the District;
- Performing other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Chief Education Officer and the Permanent Secretary.
- Accommodation provided in the School (Office);
- Institutional support is provided through the Ministry of Education, Innovation, Gender Relations, and Sustainable Development;
- Opportunities exist for personal development and career advancement through orientation, general and specialized in-service training.
Work performance will be evaluated on the basis of:
- Level of performance and accomplishment of the school;
- Quality of instruction as evidenced by student performance;
- Effectiveness of staff management and extent to which team spirit and parental involvement are exhibited;
- Extent to which student participation in school activities and student discipline are maintained;
- Timeliness, accuracy and quality of information provided in returns and reports;
- Knowledge and understanding of and the effective application of Teaching Service Rules, Regulations and the Education Act;
- Compliance with the Guidelines and Policies of the Ministry of Education, Innovation, Gender Relations, and Sustainable Development; and
- Effective implementation of duties, responsibilities and assignments as defined in the job description.
- Knowledge of education theory and practice including modalities of instruction;
- Clinical supervisory skills;
- A working knowledge of and ability to interpret Education Act and Teaching Service Rules and Regulations; Ministry’s Procedures, Staff Orders, Financial and Store Rules, Standard Operation Procedures contained in the Ministry’s Operations Manual, Collective Agreements and other operating procedures;
- Capacity to provide effective management and instructional leadership;
- Ability to creatively deploy participating and team building approaches to school management;
- Capacity to work well with persons of a range of dispositions and to establish good rapport with stakeholders;
- Decisiveness, soundness of judgment and success in issuing directives.
The candidates should possess the following:
A Master’s Degree in Educational Administration, plus five (5) years experience in Administration (i.e. head of department, dean of discipline, year heads, etc.), plus five (5) years as a Qualified Teacher;
A Bachelor’s Degree in Educational Administration or related field, plus a Post Graduate Diploma, plus five (5) years’ experience in administration (i.e. head of department, dean of discipline, year heads etc.), plus seven (7) years’ experience as a Qualified Teacher;
A Bachelor’s Degree in Educational Administration or related field, plus five (5) years’ experience in administration (i.e. head of department, dean of discipline, year head, etc.), plus ten (10) years’ experience as a Qualified Teacher;
Salary will be determined on qualifications and experience.
Quarters, free medical attention and medicine will not be provided. The successful applicant’s income will be liable to taxation in accordance with the Income Tax Ordinance.
Applications must be accompanied by certified copies of all certificates and transcripts from the relevant institutions. Two confidential testimonials are required – one from the Principal of the school at which the teacher is presently employed and one from the Education Officer for the District. For applicants outside of the school system, testimonials should be from immediate supervisors.Please note that:
- Performance and punctuality will be used as part of the criteria for selection of persons already in the Education System; and
- The successful applicant may be given an acting appointment for up to twelve (12) months;
- Applicants are required to indicate Administrative positions held and experience gained.
Teaching Service Commission
Stanislaus James Buildings
Completed application form should reach the Office of the Teaching Service Commission on or before 03 March 2017. Application forms can be obtained from the Office of the Teaching Service Commission.